As we spend more of our lives driving in a car and sitting at a computer, we are likely to develop eye strain and neck pain.
Try the following short Awareness Through Movement® lesson to help you relax your eyes and neck.
- Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet under your knees. Rest your hands on your thighs.
- Look slowly to the right, without straining. How far do you comfortably turn?
- With eyes closed, slowly move just your eyes toward the right, then back to the front. Your head does not move. Several times, let your eyes drift right. Relax your jaw, neck, and chest.
- Face forward and focus your eyes directly in front of you. Keeping your eyes on this spot, turn your head several times to the right as far as is easy. Rest.
- Keep eyes and face forward as you turn your shoulders and chest toward the right. Repeat slowly. Pause.
- Move your left knee slightly forward several times. Now turn your head to the right to check how far you turn easily. Do you see farther to the right than you did initially? Do your eyes feel more relaxed?
- Repeat the above steps to the left.